- 2-3 Jalapeño slices
- 1oz Agave nectar
- 2oz Mezcal
- 1.5oz Triple Sec
- 1oz Lime juice (FRESH)
- Salt & Más jalapeño slices for garnish, if you fancy.
Do This in This Order
- In a shaker tin, muddle the jalapeño slices with the 1oz of agave nectar
- Add ice
- Add the rest of the ingredients
- Shaaaaake til your hands get cold (~10 secs)
- Strain over fresh ice in salt-rimmed glass
- Toss a few jalapeño pepps in to make it pretty
- Sip that marg and thank Salt Pepper Kitchen for the base recipe
Last year, Patrick went to a conference in Chicago, leaving me at home by myself for the first time in our (at that point) 7-year relationship. He made the 3-hour drive with a few of his co-workers. I expected a text or something after he got to Chicago, but 3 hours went by. Then 6. Then 9. Finally, I got the call.
“So, uh… I just had the best margaritas I’ve ever had in my entire life. It was smoky and jalapeños. Figure it out. ”
Margaritas. Plural. I was happy he was enjoying himself and letting his hair down, but I wanted a freakin’ margarita, too.
When he got home that weekend, we scoured the internet, bookmarking so many mezcal recipes to recreate his perfect margaritas. The following Trial & Error phase was arduous, but we’ve made it to the other side with this slightly altered but still perfect Hot & Smoky Mezcal Margarita Recipe from Salt Pepper Skillet.
Spicy Jalapeños ✔ Smooth and Smoky Mezcal ✔ Sweet and Natural Agave Nectar ✔ Fresh-Squeezed Lime Juice ✔
If spicy & smoky isn’t your thing, my favorite margarita of all time is this bad boy: The Best Simple Margarita (3-Ingredient).